The Singapore Sling is a gin-based sling drink with vibrant colors that has long remained an iconic classic mixology and well-crafted cocktail through many generations. The sling cocktail has various variations, but the basic recipe remains spirit, sugar, water, and nutmeg. If you enjoy a refreshing and appealing cocktail, try the Singapore Sling cocktail recipe below for the new excellent drink experience.
The Singapore Sling history dates back to the early 20th century, created by Ngiam Tong Boon, a professional bartender at the Long Bar in the Raffles Hotel, Singapore.
The Singapore Sling has two main recipes: one from the Raffles Hotel and another from Harry Craddock’s The Savoy Cocktail Book. The first has gin, Cherry Heering (a cherry liqueur), Cointreau (an orange liqueur), Dom Benedictine, pineapple juice, lime juice, grenadine syrup, and a dash of Angostura bitters. And the second calls for fewer ingredients, including gin, Cherry Heering, lemon juice, and club soda.
More and more variations of the Singapore Sling recipe emerged. Some versions eliminated certain ingredients and adjusted the proportions to suit varied preferences. No matter how you make the Singapore sling, it is a delightful drink worth experiencing.
Today, the Singapore Sling has become a signature cocktail at the Raffles Hotel, and the hotel has gained popularity worldwide thanks to it. It is a frequent cocktail that travelers must enjoy when visiting Singapore.
Singapore Sling Recipe
Singapore Sling Recipe
- Cocktail shaker
- Tall glass (Hurricane glass, highball glass, or Collins glass)
- Bar spoon
- 1 1/2 oz 45 ml of Gin typically dry gin
- 1/2 oz 15 ml of Cherry Heering cherry liqueur
- 1/4 oz 7.5 ml of Cointreau orange liqueur
- 1/4 oz 7.5 ml of Dom Benedictine herbal liqueur
- 4 oz 120 ml of Pineapple juice
- 1/2 oz 15 ml of Lime juice
- 1/4 oz 7.5 ml of Grenadine syrup
- A dash of Angostura bitters
- Ice cubes
- Pineapple slice and maraschino cherry optional for garnishing
- Fill the cocktail shaker with ice cubes, which helps to chill and dilute the cocktail.Ice cubes
- Pour the GinGin, Cherry Heering, Cointreau, Dom Benedictine, pineapple juice, lime juice, grenadine syrup, and a dash of Angostura bitters into the shaker over the ice.1 1/2 oz 45 ml of Gin, 1/2 oz 15 ml of Cherry Heering, 1/4 oz 7.5 ml of Cointreau, 1/4 oz 7.5 ml of Dom Benedictine, 4 oz 120 ml of Pineapple juice, 1/2 oz 15 ml of Lime juice, 1/4 oz 7.5 ml of Grenadine syrup, A dash of Angostura bitters
- Shake the mixture for 10-15 seconds until well chilled and thoroughly mixed.
- Use a strainer to pour the mixture into a tall glass filled with ice cubes.
- Top the cocktail with a pineapple slice and a maraschino cherry, if desired.
Pro Tips for Success:
- You can choose cherry brandy, kirsch, or Cherry Heering options when choosing the cherry liqueur.
- Squeezing lime juice and using fresh pineapple juice, if possible, the cocktail will have a bright and natural taste.
- Choose the high-quality gin and liqueurs; it can elevate the overall flavor of the cocktail to the next level.
- Balance sweet and sour ingredients in the recipe based on preference; some prefer a slightly sweeter or more tart drink.
How does Singapore Sling taste?
The flavor profile of the Singapore Sling cocktail is delightful and complex. The dominant flavor is the fruitiness, which combines pineapple juice, cherry liqueur, and citrus (lime juice). This fruity and tropical taste gives the cocktail a refreshing and sweet feature. The tartness from lime juice complements the sweetness of the Cherry Heering and grenadine syrup. The herbal and spicy notes of Dom Benedictine and a dash of Angostura bitters add depth and complexity to the drink. A well-made Singapore Sling highlights the harmonious blend of all these elements, making it enticing to the senses with sweet and sour, fruity, and herbal flavors.
The Singapore Sling is perfect for cocktail parties and gatherings, with vibrant colors and savory flavors of fruity and citrusy nature, making them an attractive choice for cocktail enthusiasts. Remember that a delicious Singapore Sling is the one that suits your preferences, so feel free to experiment and adjust the recipe to find your perfect balance.
Founded by a group of passionate foodies and cocktail enthusiasts, We believe that the act of cooking a delicious meal and concocting the perfect drink isn’t just about satisfying hunger and thirst; it’s a form of self-expression and an avenue for nurturing your well-being from the inside out.