Hot Toddy is a classic winter drink with a rich history originating in the Scottish Highlands. Traditionally used as a cure for colds and chills, it has become a favorite cold-weather cocktail for many people. This delightful drink combines the cozy flavors of whiskey, honey, and lemon, making it the perfect companion to a chilly evening by the fire.
Hot Toddy Recipe
- Heat-treated glass or mug
- Lemon squeezer
- Sharp knife or pin
- Stirring utensil
- 2 oz Bourbon whiskey or any whiskey of your choice
- 1/2 oz Fresh lemon juice
- 2 Bar spoons about 1 tsp honey
- 6 Whole cloves
- Hot water
- Lemon slice and a pinch of nutmeg for garnish
- Begin by heating your glass or mug with hot water. This prevents your cocktail from cooling too quickly.Hot water
- Slice a lemon slightly off-center, creating a large lemon slice for garnish. Set it aside.Lemon slice and a pinch of nutmeg for garnish
- Squeeze half an ounce (about 1 tablespoon) of fresh lemon juice into the preheated glass.1/2 oz Fresh lemon juice
- Pour 2 ounces of bourbon whiskey into the glass, making sure not to spill any.2 oz Bourbon whiskey
- Take 6 whole cloves and secure them into the lemon slice using a pin or a cocktail pick. Carefully lower the clove-studded lemon slice into the glass.6 Whole cloves
- Drizzle 2 bar spoons (equivalent to approximately 1 teaspoon) of honey into the cocktail.2 Bar spoons
- Slowly fill the glass with hot water while stirring gently. Ensure the honey dissolves completely.
- Grate a nutmeg pinch over the cocktail's top to add aromatic warmth.
- Stir everything together to combine the flavors.
- Garnish your Hot Toddy with the clove-studded lemon slice.
Pro Tips for Success:
- Preheating your glass prevents rapid cooling.
- If you're preparing this drink for someone else, ensure your hands are clean or wear gloves for hygiene.
- Adjust the honey quantity to your taste. If you prefer it to be sweeter, add more honey.
- The cloves add a delightful spice, but be cautious when handling them, as they can be sharp and intense.
Nutrition (per serving):The approximate nutritional values for a classic Hot Toddy are:
- Calories: 150-180 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 10-15 g
- Fat: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
What happens after drinking Toddy?
Here’s what commonly happens after drinking a Hot Toddy:
- Warming Sensation: The warm temperature of the drink can provide immediate comfort, making you feel warmer and potentially helping to ease chills or a sore throat, which is one reason it’s often considered a home remedy for colds and flu.
- Relaxation: Alcohol is a depressant, and it can induce relaxation and a sense of well-being in moderate amounts. This is why people enjoy Hot Toddies, especially in the evening, as it can help them unwind and sleep better.
- Temporary Relief: The honey and lemon in a Hot Toddy can soothe a sore throat, and the alcohol can temporarily relieve cold symptoms, such as congestion. It’s important to note that these short-term effects do not treat the underlying illness.
- Dehydration: Alcohol is a diuretic, which can lead to increased urination and potential dehydration. It’s crucial to balance alcohol consumption with water or non-alcoholic fluids to stay hydrated.
- Potential for Intoxication: If you consume a significant amount of alcohol in your Hot Toddy or combine it with other alcoholic beverages, you may become intoxicated. This can impair judgment, coordination, and decision-making.
- Alcohol’s Side Effects: Alcohol can have side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, and an upset stomach. Some people may also experience a headache or hangover the next day if they consume too much.
Excessive alcohol consumption can lead to various health risks and should be avoided. If you have specific health conditions or are taking medications, consult a healthcare professional before consuming alcohol. Additionally, if you experience any adverse effects after drinking, it’s advisable to seek medical attention if necessary.
How long can toddy last in fridge?
- Hot Toddy: Best enjoyed fresh and hot, not typically stored in the fridge due to its perishable nature.
- Cold Toddy with Fruit Juices: Consume within 1-2 days when refrigerated due to the perishable nature of fruit juices.
- Cold Toddy with Non-Perishable Ingredients: This can last 3-5 days when refrigerated, but the quality may change over time.
For the best experience, consider making Toddy cocktails fresh when you intend to consume them.
Founded by a group of passionate foodies and cocktail enthusiasts, We believe that the act of cooking a delicious meal and concocting the perfect drink isn’t just about satisfying hunger and thirst; it’s a form of self-expression and an avenue for nurturing your well-being from the inside out.