A simple timeless cocktail – Gimlet is one of the gems among classic cocktails, known for its refreshing feature on a hot weather day or as a pre-dinner drink. A well-made Gimlet is a perfect balance of sweet and sour, with the spirit as the base for the lime and sweetness shining. The cocktail has a clean and crisp finish, making it easy to sip and enjoy. The article below will show you everything about how to make your own delicious Gimlet at home!
The Gimlet features a refreshing flavor profile, the traditional recipe made with gin and lime cordial – a sweetened lime juice. This classic cocktail’s history dates back to the early 20th century.
A history of the cocktail originates from a surgeon admiral of the Royal Navy, Sir Thomas Desmond Gimlette. In the early 20th century, there was a custom that the British Royal Navy gave its sailors a daily ration of gin to help prevent scurvy. But the taste of gin is not a favor, and Sir Thomas Desmond Gimlette has devised an idea to mix lime juice with gin to make it more pleasant and increase the amount of vitamin C. This drink was well-welcomed and later known as the “Gimlette” or “Gimlet.”
The traditional recipe of Gimlet includes spirit, citrus, and sugar. Over time, the variations of the drink emerged more and more; some of them include:
- Vodka Gimlet, which replaces gin with vodka. Vodka is more neutral than gin; this is the base for lime and sweetness to shine through.
- Rosemary Gimlet, adds a sprig of fresh rosemary to the shaker when making the cocktail. The rosemary has an herbal aroma, giving the cocktail a unique and fragrant note.
- Elderflower Gimlet, this variation adds elderflower liqueur, e.g., St-Germain. The elderflower infuses a floral note and slightly sweet taste to the cocktail, which works well with the lime.
- Cocktail glass
- Cocktail shaker
- 2 oz Gin or Vodka
- 3/4 oz Fresh lime juice
- 1/2 oz Simple syrup
- Lime wheel or twist
- Fill the cocktail shaker with ice.Ice
- Pour the measured gin (or vodka), fresh lime juice, and simple syrup into the shaker.2 oz Gin, 3/4 oz Fresh lime juice, 1/2 oz Simple syrup
- Shake the cocktail for 10-15 seconds to chill the drink, and mix all the ingredients well.
- Using a strainer, pour the Gimlet from the shaker into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a lime wheel or twist for a more appealing presentation.Lime wheel or twist
Pro Tips for Success:
- Opt for fresh lime juice rather than bottled lime juice for the best flavor; the fresh gives a brighter and more vibrant citrus taste than the bottled one.
- High-quality gin or vodka is the base spirit that enhances the final taste of the Gimlet to the next level.
- Balance the sweetness to your preference. Start with a small amount and add more if needed.
- Start chilling the cocktail glass in the fridge for a few minutes to keep the Gimlet cold and refreshing for longer when serving.
- Well-shake the cocktail with ice to chill and properly dilute it.
How does Gimlet taste?
A classic Gimlet cocktail has a well-balanced taste of bright citrusy and sweetness. The citrus is a dominant flavor that comes from fresh lime juice. The tartness works well with the complement of simple syrup, creating a harmonious interplay of sweet and sour. Gin or vodka is the base spirit that adds depth and complexity to the cocktail. Gin features botanical and herbal notes, while vodka gives a clean and neutral base; both are subtle alcoholic kicks that highlight the cocktail.
What does ordering a gimlet say about you?
Ordering a Gimlet can indicate that you are a person who appreciates classic cocktails that are simple but subtle, which is a well-balanced cocktail. A well-made Gimlet requires the bartender to pay attention to it, such as using fresh lime juice and the right balance of sweetness. Ordering one might reflect the high appreciation for well-crafted cocktails.
A Gimlet is a classic choice for those who appreciate a well-balanced and refreshing drink. When making your Gimlet, feel free to adjust the recipe to create the perfect balance for your palate.
Founded by a group of passionate foodies and cocktail enthusiasts, We believe that the act of cooking a delicious meal and concocting the perfect drink isn’t just about satisfying hunger and thirst; it’s a form of self-expression and an avenue for nurturing your well-being from the inside out.